Re: cygwin, perl, and python, which is the most popular scripting language?

From: Joel Meulenberg <joelmeNIX_at_homeNIX.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 02:06:30 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:tohe3tbssdudc5_at_news.demon.nl...

> "Dino Hsu" <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message
> > Dear all,
> >
> > In the process of finding scripting languages for Microsoft Windows
> > platforms, cygwin, perl, and python seem to have the most supporters.
> > They are also open source software, free of charge, and they also
> > cover both Unix and Windows platforms. Microsoft's own scripting
> > language, namely VBS, is seldom used, though. Now we can narrow down
> > to the comparison: cygwin, perl, and python, which is the most
> > popular? You might have your favourate language for both Unix and
> > Windows, or you might have one favourate for Unix and one favourate
> > for Windows, it's up to you. Statement your reason for your choices.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dino
> >

> For me the *only* reason to use languages like perl and python, is
> cross-platform compatibility.
> On Unix the default Korn Shell definitely will do, no need to use
something
> else

I suppose it also depends on what it is you're trying to do. Languages like Perl and Python measure much higher on the manipulexity scale than the Korn Shell. You can do just about any kind of application development in Perl and Python. The shells are more for sysadmin work and relatively simple programs.

Joel Meulenberg Received on Sun Aug 26 2001 - 21:06:30 CDT