NLS_LANGUAGE and Java/JDBC

From: Phivos <phivos_at_NO.mpriki.photonics.ntua.gr.SPAM>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:31:37 +0300

(Sorry for the crosspost, but wasn't sure...)

Do NLS parameters, such as NLS_LANGUAGE and NLS_TERRITORY, affect the way JDBC handles data from queries?

My problem:
I have iso-8859-7 data stored in an Oracle 8.1.7 on win2000. If I query some table from SQL*Plus I get *correct* results (guess has to do with the iso-8859-7 OS locale).

But if I query through JDBC (from a JSP page using a Javabean) I get ??????? instead of greek characters.

My NLS_LANGUAGE, NLS_TERRITORY parameters are set to AMERICAN and AMERICA. Need to mention also that if i open DBAstudio and connect through the GUI to the Database, I DO NOT see correct data in the tables, but iso-8859-1
(western european) characters!

Hope didn't confuse you, any help appreciated.

--
__
Never explain.