Re: Copying a DB from NT to Linux occurs a ORA-01516

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:48:02 GMT

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:20:43 -0700, Liz Reen <lizr_at_geologist.com> wrote:

>Hardware has nothing to do with it. These are two totally different
>operating systems. The problems is not the file system type. That
>hurdle was crossed when you copied the files. It is the internal
>representation of the data which is different (think long, floating
>point etc.) Linux may be a "recent" o/s, which is based on Unix which
>is anything, but recent. Export/Import is the only answer.

Er, I think it's exactly the opposite, Liz.

Floating point and long are *EXACTLY* the same in NT and Linux, *if* both are running in an Intel platform. Both FP and long are driven by the CPU architecture and have nothing whatsoever to do with the OS.

Assuming an Intel architecture:
If you use the open() and write() calls in C (the language used to write ORACLE) in Linux to store a long and a FP in a FILE and then close(), I can guarantee you if you FTP the file to NT in binary mode, you will be able to write a program in NT that does a standard C-library open(), read(), and get exactly the same data back as you wrote in Linux.

That I can assure you works. It even works if you write the file in a Sequent (Intel CPU) and read it in NT! Been there, done that.

However, data stored in ORACLE datafile is a little bit more than just a FP or a long. There is the darn file headers and the block headers and row headers. These will have different info stored in Linux and NT. That's where the spanner is thrown...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 06:48:02 CDT