Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:25:47 GMT

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Gerard Lapidario wrote:

> Good point. LINUX won't get you anywhere so Oracle should keep ignoring it
> :-)
> Here's proof of how useless Linux is:
> http://www.ibm.com/news/us/2001/08/092.html
> ;-}

On the contrary, Linux is the only way we will ever be free of authoritarian software publishers. This is the basis for the hype, not the (lack of) technical features.

I myself still run some Linux, and I have A LOT of experience with it.

However, when you see RedHat dragging its feet on an LVM and JFS implementation, Linus himself snubbing large companies who genuinely want to help, and so many frustrated developers, you have to realize that we will be in chains to the big UNIX vendors for some time yet.

I also find it interesting that you point me at an IBM reference, from which I deduce what side of the fence you occupy.

For this I would gently remind and admonish you: mainframe DB2 and Oracle are alike in a shared-disk approach to database clusters, and these two databases are the market leaders in their segments. UDB's approach is NOT the market leader, precisely because it runs well on Linux, not requiring a large SGA or efficient filesystem.

Just don't be surprised when the underdog receives the occasional beating; such is the fate of the downtrodden.

   / Charles J. Fisher              | "A fanatic is one who can't change his /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            |  mind and won't change the subject."  /
 /   http://rhadmin.org             |                 -- Winston Churchill /