Re: Referential integrity considering Status?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 22 Aug 2001 08:00:12 -0500

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, raimundoNO_at_XPAMmail.telepac.pt wrote:

> Details of referential integrity aren't important to my point,
> but they go along these lines: new records can only reference
> Active records; any record can go from Active to Inactive, but
> can go to Deleted only if every reference to it is Deleted too;
> and so on.
>
> The problem is that the database internal referential integrity
> is based solely on existence or non-existence of records.

Maybe a trigger can be written on your table that truly deletes rows that have been changed to deleted status and copies the deleted row to a "deleted" table which is a copy of the original table? Then the RI would kick in and tell you if this is allowed.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.