What is an overflow segment?

From: Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:18:52 +0800

Dear all,

When we are in the process of installing Axapta (an ERP from Europe), we encounter the following error message (with explanation from the doc):

"ORA-01429 Index-Organized Table: no data segment to store overflow row-pieces

Cause: No overflow segment defined.

Action: Add overflow segment."

The problem is I don't know anything about an overflow segment, although I did learn IOT before. I checked Kevin Loney, Jason Couchman and Noel Yuhanna books, no overflow segment is mentioned (sorry Jonathan, don't have your book yet). Although there are some material in the doc and metalink, but I still cannot figuer out a basic idea about it. I need straight and basic definition about what an overflow segment is. Anyone helps me out? Thanks in advance.

Dino Received on Tue Aug 21 2001 - 08:18:52 CDT