Re: How to change the instance name

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 08:22:20 +1000

"Giorgio P." <alfatar_at_register.com> wrote in message news:9lg6ce$oba$1_at_fe1.cs.interbusiness.it...
> I need to change the INSTANCE_NAME parameter of my Oracle 8.1.7 database
> server installation.

Why? Changing that parameter won't actually change the name of your Instance (which is governed by the ORACLE_SID environment variable). Neither will it change the name of your Database (which is stored in the Control File).

The parameter is there to enable automatic registration with the Listener. Change it, and there's some work on all your tnsnames.ora's that you have to do.

Regards
HJR