Re: oracle 8i installation problem with JRE not found

From: Low Han Ming <lowhm_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: 17 Aug 2001 01:08:54 -0700

Hi there,

I'm trying to install 8.1.7 and will tell you my problem.

Might not be exactly applicable to you, but may be for reference.

I'm not sure about the jre support for 8.1.6 as 8.1.5 need you to down jdk1.1.6
but not 8.1.7

So, try the following

Goto /mnt/cdrom/install/linux
if you have a runIns.sh in the directory sh ./runIns.sh instead
(don't use runInstaller)
if not, then /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller (but likely will fail)

in a terminal
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
in the same terminal
/mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

if it still complain jre not found
download jdk1.1.8 from www.blackdown.org (you may want to check 8.1.6 need 1.1.7 or 1.1.8, don't download the newer version than recommended)

then mkdir /usr/local/jre/bin
ln -s <JAVA_HOME>/bin/jre /usr/local/jre/bin/jre then
try
/mnt/cdrom/install/linux/runIns.sh
otherwise,
/mnt/cdrom/runInstaller

If all fails, sorry, it's out of my knowledge.

If the installer run but hit some error later with linking, you need to apply patches found on technet.oracle.com

Cheers.

Han Ming