Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:07:14 GMT

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:09:48 -0400, Jerry Stuckle <jstucklex_at_attglobal.net> wrote:

>Maybe YOU don't care about the price.
>
>But the rest of us do.

I'm sorry you cannot understand the difference between raw pricing and an example disassociated from pricing constraints used to ilustrate a technical point.

I care about pricing too. I've found over the years that once ALL is measured and done and the systems are up and running, with people maintaining them in real life, all these abstract bottom line $$$ prices become remarkably similar.

No company can afford to sell similar technology at a much reduced price for too long. Either the reduced price is bogus (you end up paying a lot more later if you really want to do anything with it), or the company sells its line of software because they can't afford to keep it (happened to DEC's RDB, Informix, Ingres and many others along the years).
There ain't such thing as a free lunch. You may not believe it now, but let me assure you: it's true.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Aug 16 2001 - 09:07:14 CDT