Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:03:21 GMT

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:47:32 -0400, Darcy <benoit_at_no.spam.please> wrote:

>I, personally, have found DB2 easier to install on just about any machine
>that I have used. I have had DB2 on NT, ME, RedHat 7.0, Redhat 6.1 and my
>Palm III. I don't think that I would be that lucky in getting Oracle on
>any/all of these.

Hmmm, looks like you had a bad experience, eh? Let me relate mine:

1- Haven't *once* managed to load "DB2" on my Palm. ORACLE went in without a glitch.

2- Have a development NT4 server at work that has had Websphere and DB2 in it for two months now, with only once being able to get DB2 running. As for it talking to Websphere, better not mention it. That same server got ORACLE installed and talking to Websphere in less than 30 minutes.

3- Used to work in a GSA project where it took the DBA's less than 40 minutes to clone ORACLE databases for testing purposes. They (IBM) never succeeded in getting it done with DB2. Go figure...

Interesting how real life experiences sometimes match the systems we tend to work with?
I'm not for a moment suggesting that DB2 is impossible to install or that I can do it properly. By the same token, you should not generalize your lack of ORACLE knowledge as a trait of the product.

Because I know for sure that people using DB2 are getting good results. So are the ones that use ORACLE. Got nothing to do with the products and ALL to do with the people using them.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Aug 14 2001 - 04:03:21 CDT