Re: Instance , what instance.

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:32:57 +0200

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote

> Session 3 is actually doing reads, not writes. The reason the
> 'instance' keeps going is that nothing has removed the
> shared memory segment (i.e. the SGA) where
<snipped>

Pretty interesting stuff. Thanks for explaining Jon.

> On the minus side, it could cause confusion of the type:
> "database is down"/"can't start - instance is up"

On the plus side, that could cause the neural network of certain so-called DBA's to overload and it may just cause them to give DBA'ing up in disgust.

> On the plus side, when you eliminate the memory segment
> the database can restart are recover without harm.

Kill 'em shadows! Kill 'em! <lead pipe waving in the air> Hell, don't you just _love_ being a DBA.

> > Who the hell really killed JFK!?
> This is explained very clearly in Red Dwarf.

Damn, and I thought I was the only one around here who knew that. But then, you do have that civilised co.uk in your e-mail address old chap, unlike our Yankee friends whose humour is rather crude at times... (ducking the empty Buds being thrown).

Oh yes - you should catch our comedy of errors on Hardtalk. Tim has been talking to our politicians and the interviews are being aired this week.

--
Billy