Connect internal without password

From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt_at__NO_SPAM_PLEASE_acu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 17:24:03 GMT

Hi,

Hoping for some help on this one... I need to be able to connect internal to Oracle using svrmgrl, and currently I can only do so when logged in as the oracle user.

I have a (non-root) userid under which my backup software runs nightly. This user needs to have the privileges tp shut down the database instances before the backup job goes through, and to restart same after the backups have completed. The scripts that run the backup job call scripts to enumerate all the database instances listed in my oratab file, and shut down/restart them appropriately. They need to be able to connect internal to do this.

I don't want to embed passwords in the scripts, and I can't su to the oracle user within the scripts (as this is a non-root user doing the backups).

I've read various FAQ's and such, and have tried:-

creating an ops$ user account for the user under which the backups run, and granting it the dba role.

Adding the user to the Unix dba group.

I'm still prompted for a password when I try to connect internal. I'd appreciate any help - I can't find any definive description of what Oracle used to decide whether a password is required for this process...

FWIW, Oracle 8.1.5.0.0 on Solaris 7 on a sparc.

Mike. Received on Mon Aug 13 2001 - 12:24:03 CDT