EXP/IMP ... (HELP!!!!!!)

From: Norman Dunbar <ndunbar_at_lynxfinancialsystems.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 12:59:39 +0100

See comments in-line.

Regrads Norman.

Norman Dunbar		EMail:	NDunbar_at_LynxFinancialSystems.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	Fax:	0113 201 7265
			URL:	http://www.LynxFinancialSystems.com

>> 1. I exported my database to A.dmp file, and I create another
 database
>> with the same TABLESPACEs, which have different datafiles. Am I able
>> to import A.dmp to my new database?

>> If I want to do something like this, how can I do?

No problem. If you did a full export then I would create the users myself in the new database and import them individually rather than suffer all those error messages about tablespace creation failing etc.

>> 2. I am upgrading my database from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6. Which method of
>> migrate is better?

I would export from 7.3.4 and import to 8.1.6. This gives you the opportunity to rename tablespaces, drop no longer needed users, change storage settings, file locations etc.
I have migrated quite a few databases in my time and I have always gone down the export/import route - especially if I was moving from one server to another (different) one at the same time.

>> 3. During Importing, I got some error mesg, such as PK conflicted,
>> long column excess the buffer and excess extent limit in rollback
>> segment ... table rollbacked. If those error happen, should I
>> continue to import? If I do, how can I fix it after import finish.
>> Or How can I fix it before import. I created a new database and run
>> catalog.sql and then import. There is supposed to be no data, why I
>> still get PK conflict?

PK conflict could be duplicates - you did truncate/drop the tables before importing ? If you truncate, sometimes you get 'such unique or primary key exists for this table' - which can be ignored. Long columns exceed the buffer - use BUFFER=1024000 on the EXP and IMP commandline.
Exceeding rollback - put a COMMIT=Y on the IMP commandline so that it will commit every BUFFER full of data and not just a single commit at the end of the import.

HTH.
Norman. Received on Thu Aug 09 2001 - 06:59:39 CDT