Re: system events

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 09 Aug 2001 13:06:16 +0100 (BST)

Roger Clarke <rclarke_at_brookes.ac.uk> wrote:
>Dear all
>
>EVENT TOTAL_WAITS TIME_WAITED
>SQL*Net message from client 414364 40916046
>
>The above data was taken from the V$SYSTEM_EVENT table. This event has by far
>the longest waits, and I would like to decrease it if possible.
>
>Anyone know exactly what this is caused by, and how to lower the number of
>waits? My guess was network traffic, but I cannot find explicit reference to
>this event anywhere.

You can lower this wait event by increasing contention within the database.

Seriously, don't worry, it's an "idle" wait event, it means that the server process is sitting around waiting for the client to tell it what to do next. If you're on 8.1.6 or later, use a statspack report, it filters the idle wait events to the end of the list.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/