Re: NLS Problems - help

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 18:48:08 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com> wrote in message news:<3B6F5582.FCB18F69_at_liberate.com>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been asked to set up four mchines with their own
> > databases, each in a different Asian language. I got
> > Solaris 8 and the Oracle Software installation in each
> > of the languages to complete successfully.
> >
> > When I create the DB I needed to set up two environment
> > variables, NLS_LANG and ORA_NLS33. This went smoothly
> > for Japanese and Korean.
> >
> > My problem is with two of the languages (Simplified and
> > Traditional Chinese). According to the Docs, you set it
> > up as Language_Territory.CharSet. So I've tried:
> >
> > zhs_CHINA.ZHS16GBK SIMPLIFIED_CHINESE_CHINA.ZHS16GBK
> >
> > of which the first should have worked. The tool dbassist,
> > though, each time claims that NLS_LANG is incorrectly set.
> >
> > In desperation I've tried:
> >
> > zhs.ZHS16GBK SIMPLIFIED_CHINESE.ZHS16GBK
> >
> > Has anyone been able to set up a DB with these two languages
> > (I'm having the same problems with traditional) ??
> >
> > Just the values, ma'am, just the values.
> > -Detective Joe Friday
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Dirk
>
> My educated guess is it should be "simplified chinese_china.zhs16gbk"
> The same procedure applies for "Dutch_The Netherlands.we8iso8859p1
> And of course, you can always -as posted before- query v$nls_valid_values
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Thanks, your educated guess was right...since I was using tcsh, I had to do:

        setenv NLS_LANG "SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_CHINA.ZHS16GBK"

whereas I could omit the double quotes for Korean and Japanese.

I did look in v$nls_valid_values, but that just listed SIMPLIFIED CHINESE, which I already knew was OK. The trick was the double quotes to let a space work. I guess it is a bug that zhs and zht weren't in the table as the docs imply these are valid substitutes.

Thanks again,
-Dirk

-Dirk Received on Tue Aug 07 2001 - 13:48:08 CDT