Re: Warning against manipulating the datadictionary directly was Re: Drop datafile

From: koert54 <k_at_k.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:54:36 GMT

Thank you for repeating my warnings - of course you shouldn't do this kind of stuff - anyone who thinks who should do this on a production server is nuts ! And yes, there are many more dictionary tables, and yes your support will invalidate and no I didn't do this against production databases. But I think I pretty much covered that in my message ...
You know, there are still people around who like to play with Oracle databases for fun and just don't know the word 'not possible' ! There are a couple of ways to react to my message : 1. either you try it out on your crash'n burn box - and check out the relationship with uet$
2. have a laugh and say 'what a fool'
3. write an elaborate reply on the dangers of this kind of operation basically repeating everything

BTW Where do you think I saw this procedure first .....:-) ???

Anyways, you're probably right ... I'm actually a real nutcase when it comes to Oracle databases

Kind Regards !

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:997046454.16259.0.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl...
> Hopefully you never did this on your production servers.
> You are creating havoc, and I'm not sure whether you addressed *all*
> dictionary tables affected.
> For one thing you are missing uet$.
> So after these commands, the dictionary will be inconsistent.
>
> Following your procedure will invalidate the users support contract.
>
> Thus, IMO, I think posting such advice you should be prepared to be sued
 by
> anyone following it.
>
> Also, again IMO, I consider this advice as unprofessional
> and I caution anyone reading it NOT to follow it.
>
> I strongly urge you to refrain from posting similar advice in the future,
 it
> is very inappropiate in a professional usenet newsgroup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>

> "koert54" <k_at_k.com> wrote in message
> > The following procedure let's you erase that datafile completely.
> > As always - be extremely carefull. Be absolutely sure no extents have
> > been allocated in the added datafile !!!
> > Allthough I've done this procedure a couple of times, I won't
> > recommend doing this on your company's production servers !!!
> > (I don't think Oracle will support it!) So - do it at your OWN risk !!!
> >
> > Testcase:
> > create tablespace foo datafile 'd:\utl\foo01.dbf' size 1M ;
> > create table t (i integer) tablespace foo ;
> > insert into t values (1) ;
> > commit ;
> >
> > alter database backup controlfile to trace ;
> >
> > alter tablespace foo add datafile 'd:\utl\foo02.dbf' size 1M ;
> > select name, file# from v$datafile ;
> > D:\UTL\FOO02.DBF 7
> >
> > alter database datafile 'd:\utl\foo02.dbf' offline drop ; (in
 noarchivelog)

> > delete from file$ where file#=7 ;
> > commit ;
> > delete from fet$ where file#=7 ;
> > commit ;
> >
> > shutdown ;
> >
> > startup nomount ;
> > recreate the controlfile (without foo02.dbf !!!)
> > alter database open ;
> > -> foo02.dbf never existed
> > select * from t;
> > -> 1
> >
> > I've done this on a couple of TEST servers on NT and AIX ... they are
 still
> > running but don't shoot me if you f*ck up your DB !
> >

> > "Bernard Bourdon" <bernard.bourdon_at_pi.be> wrote in message
> > > I want to delete an empty datafile that I just created by mistake. I
 use
 the
> > > command "alter database datafile 'xxx' offline drop". No error, the
 datafile
> > > is offline but is not dropped. What can I do ? Can I modify some
 system
> > > tables directly (I would have done that on MS Sql Server in a few
 seconds)
 ?