Re: any better way to quesy DBA_INDEXES, DBA_IND_COLUMNS...?

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 22:50:55 GMT

"phil_at_pacbell.net" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently writting a program that would generate a SQL script to
> reorganize a whole index tablespace.
> I try to get the indormation from DBA_INDEXES, DBA_IND_COLUMNS,
> DBA_TAB_COLUMNS, DBA_SEGMENTS.
>
> Following are my SQL statements, and they took a while to retrieve the
> information. Please let me know if you have better idea. Also, if you like
> this utility, please email me at "phil_sheu_at_amax.com" . I'll email you a
> copy when I finished.

> 4. Try to get the allocated space for every index, to compress all extents

Hi.

If you're using LMTs with uniform extent sizing, do you really want to bother with this part?
I can see a slight benefit from having the extents in a contiguous area of the disk(s), but otherwise, the single extent paradigm has largely been debunked.

just my opinion.

Paul Received on Sun Aug 05 2001 - 17:50:55 CDT