Re: Rename tablespace name.

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 15:01:54 +0100

Hi Dino

I read this some time ago somewhere, but i cannot remember where. I tried it on a simple test setup on my box and it does seem to work. I would not suggest you do this on a production box, and oracle will never sanction you doing it. I just suggested it for information.

cheers

Pete

In article <qmfpmtk7f79m25uke9lkgbr3vu1m2c5ec5_at_4ax.com>, Dino Hsu <dino1_at_ms1.hinet.net> writes
>Dear Pete,
>
>It's unbelievable you suggest to change the system table!!! Are you
>really sure this works? You must be an Oracle R&D or something.
>
>Dino
>
>On Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:43:26 +0100, Pete Finnigan
><pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>
>>the short answer is you cannot. Its on the wish list to add to oracle in
>>the future.
>>
>>You can do it the hard way, export all of the data, drop the tablepsace,
>>re-create with new name, then import.
>>
>>You can do it like already said.
>>
>>OR if you are brave and do without oracle's support you can do it the
>>easy way.
>>
>>log in as SYS and rename the tablespace name in SYS.TS$ using an UPDATE
>>statement. You need to ensure no users use the tablespace you want to
>>rename as a default tablespace. If they do then update their default
>>tablespaces firts and put back after you have finished.
>>
>>Oracle do not endorse you doing this tho.
>>
>>cheers
>>
>>Pete Finnigan
>>www.pentest-limited.com
>>
>>In article <b2b9197f.0108031632.ba6573d_at_posting.google.com>, Ford
>><get4ked_at_yahoo.com> writes
>>>You can't rename a tablespace
>>>Alter database rename file ..... for files in a tablespace

 m>

--
Pete Finnigan