Re: What's VxFS buffer size ?

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 18:55:33 +0100

Hi

You can tune the veritas I/O and memnory parameters by adding lines to /ect/system. I agree with Zhenming that you can size it when you create the file system just as an NFS file system can be.

Also be aware that the low level OS read still plays a part. on solaris i think its 128K but i may be wrong, therefore setting multiblock_read_count needs to take this into accouint as well.

I have a four page document faxed to me from veritas about a year ago about tuning parameters . Its called "Modifying Tunables", see if they can send you an up to date copy. I dont have an electronic version. If you are stuck i could fax my copy to you next week from the office.

Also are you aware that you can turn off the unix file cache using veritas parameters in vfstab. the one i used to get about a 20% improvement in a heavy loading program written in PL/SQL and operating against a 220 million row table is "convosynch=direct". see the alomari book on tuning oracle 8i and unix. He has a good chapter on veritas tuning.

cheers

Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <58L97.21817$Q13.2212058_at_news20.bellglobal.com>, Zhenming Wang <zmwang_at_sympatico.ca> writes

--
Pete Finnigan