Re: tracing

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:06:06 +0200

"Eggie" <eggie_at_nospam.com> wrote

There used to be trial versions of Developer 2000 available. Best is to wander over to the downloads link at www.oracle.com and take a look.

> If Oracle (yes, uncle Ellison! Bill is not so bad as you say...) would have
> made a trace utility including p/sql I would have saved 8 hours of work...
> 'Possibly' others too...

To be fair - a product is a product is a product. Oracle Server is just that. A database server product. Not a programming/development tool product. Oracle Developer 2000 is a product specifically for Oracle developers. And this includes an PL/SQL development tool, that comes with an IDE and integrated debugger.

It is up to you to use the right tool for the job. Expecting Oracle Server to include a client side integrated PL/SQL debugger simply does not sound right. I rather want the Oracle Server product range to focus on what it is suppose to be in the first place - a high end, robust and scaleable database server. Development issues should be the focus of the development tools.

BTW, these days my PL/SQL development tools are Windows Notepad and SQL*Plus... :-)

--
Billy