Re: Hardware Recommendations for new Oracle Server

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 23:28:58 -0700

sirws_at_hotmail.com (Scott Moore) wrote in message news:<6b4abc8f.0108021308.660d31bc_at_posting.google.com>...

> I have 2 instances, both about 7GB (and growing), so if you factor in
> memory for the system, databases and 150 oracle users, 16GB isn't too
> unreasonable.

Sizing of database HW is a difficult task and I don't know much about you databases, but I still think that this is an overkill. One of my databases has also 7GB+ and perfectly running on HP-UX box with 256MBs !
You has 14 gigs in datafiles, but datafiles are supposed to be on disk, not in memory. :-) So you just need some space for SGA, system and ORA processes etc., even with 150 users running on dedicated connections, it can still perfectly run on 2GB of RAM. Maybe your system is really special and all 150 concurrent users needs a lot of memory to complete their tasks and I'm wrong, as I said I don't know you system, but my experiences are different. If you know that your system will be significantly rising in future, to 50 GBs or more, then you must be prepared and buying more memory can be reasonable. Also another way is to buy less memory now and upgrade your server in future, but this is more business and management decision than a technical one.

P.S. In one big insurance company are running AIX system, they have SAP on it, 800 users and 4 GB of memory, everything runs fine. Database has 60+ GB in datafiles.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader