Re: Oracle Server Pricing Scheme

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:17:18 +0200

"Michael" <rbtree1_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:tiq3gv2u91cc44_at_news.supernews.com...
> Few months ago I was contracted to implement a web based/transaction
> oriented system. I wanted to use Oracle as the database engine in the
> project. I noticed the pricing schemes were bizarre. Formulas were
 something
> near:
>
> Total Price=BasePrice * PlatFormFactor * NoCPUs * CPUspeed(MHZ)
> * NoOfLettersinMothersMaidenName * YearOrYourBirth *
> NoOfPiecesOfToiletPaperUsedToday.
>
> Somewhat angered by this attempt by Oracle to squeeze out every last bit
 of
> money.. I chose MySql. I deployed it in a web/light transaction setting
 and
> to this month everything has worked well. It is extremely fast and
 reliable
> and best of all free or inexpensive for embedded use. I like the small
> footprint as well.
>
> My peers have used it sucessfully in high transaction applications.
> It is open-source.
>
> This not meant to be a flame.

Obviously the formula you quote above is a joke, it is simply untrue and a clear case of Oracle bashing. Also: you probably never called an Oracle sales rep, as it is well known pricing is negotiable. So I'm not sure why you state 'This is not intended as a flame' as you continue in the rest of your post to compare apples and pears. MySql lacks many, many features Oracle has, it even doesn't have row level locking. So, I'm not sure you can even think to use it in a 'high-level transaction system', whatever that might be in your opinion.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Jun 17 2001 - 16:17:18 CDT