Re: 32-bit Oracle Server on 64-bit Solaris?

From: Gollum <gollum_nospam_at_worldonline.dk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 20:46:01 +0200

Knut,

There is no problem in "downgrading" from 64 to 32 bit Oracle. All you need to do is something like:

  1. Install the 32-bit Oracle in a new ORACLE_HOME
  2. Shutdown the database
  3. Take a full backup! (Just in case something goes wrong)
  4. Change ORACLE_HOME from the 64-bit Oracle to the 32-bit Oracle
  5. Startup database
  6. As internal run the script: $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlirp (which invalidates and recompiles all PL/SQL)
  7. You are up and running! (You might want to do a backup at this stage)

The main disadvantage with 32-bit Oracle compared to 64-bit Oracle is that you cannot address as large amounts of memory, so unless you have a real need for a large SGA nothing is wrong with using the 32-bit version (it is definitely not slower!).

About the patch: If the bug mentioned cannot be backported to 8.1.6.1 (talk to Oracle Support about this) then perhaps it is an option for you to upgrade to 8.1.7 instead (assuming the bug is fixed here)?

HTH,
Gollum

"Knut E. Meidal" <plsdontsend_at_any.mail> wrote in message news:P71V6.1612$QX5.33636_at_news1.oke.nextra.no...
> My company is running a 64-bit version of Oracle 8.1.6.1 on 64-bit
 Solaris7.