Re: newbie needs help on slow startup & shutdown

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:06:35 -0700

wonderinguy wrote:

> Folks, I'm pretty new to Oracle. When I first got
> oracle running on a Solaris machine, the startup and shutdown was pretty
> fast. Now it take about 10-15 mins to shutdown normal and about 2-4 mins
> to startup. The only changes I made was ,I dropped couple of extra rollback
> segment I created .
> How can I trouble shoot this situation ? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks

I'm not sure you have a problem. Have you read the description of "shutdown normal"?

I assume that you have tables and records and users and transactions now you didn't have when you started. This may just be the cost of using the database to do work.

If you need a faster shutdown try SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE or SHUTDOWN TRANSACTIONAL.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Mon Jun 11 2001 - 23:06:35 CDT