oiconnect problem

From: Kim Connell, Client/Server DBA <mouse_kc_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2001 11:36:46 -0700

Hi all,

I was creating a script to run a space management report on our oracle database
instances one after the other. The problem is that if there is anything incorrect in the tnsnames.ora file or the sys password has changed the SQLPLUS interactive prompt comes up and causes problems. I want to have the connect string tested first, so that this does not happen, but every connect string I tried with ioconnect gives me a return code of 0, even if I can't connect to SQlPLUS using that string.

example:
> ioconnect sys/password_at_data.world
> echo $?
> 0

Any ideas? Am I using ioconnect incorrectly? I am using Oracle 805 on a SunOS 5.6 platform. Received on Fri Jun 08 2001 - 13:36:46 CDT