Re: 2gb filesize, large disks and splitting tablespaces

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:24:16 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:53:45 +0100, "andrew_webby at hotmail" <spam_at_no.thanks.com> wrote:

>Bug on Metalink is 1277145 if anyone is interested.
>
>"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
><snip>
>> b) More files means less inode contention for the files (in particular
>> temporary tablespaces). There is a known bug at the moment with vxfs
>> and 8.1.x (fixed in 8.1.7.1 maybe) where you get a slowdown because of
>> nasty vxfs level locking (workaround is to use raw or quick IO)
><snip>

Very interesting. I just attended a Veritas marketing thingie over here. Their "guru" seemed to imply a number of times that even when using Veritas stuff (file system + tools), the files in ORACLE databases should still be assumed as raw.

I didn't quite understand it (and quite frankly I didn't ask, the 9i presentation was about to start!), unless he was referring to using Veritas as a logical volume manager and forfeiting VxFS alltogether for ORACLE. Ie, using only the volume management stuff. Which BTW, is totally mind-blowing: 1Tb volume recovery in 30secs flat!!!!!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Thu Jun 07 2001 - 07:24:16 CDT