Re: Ingres migration to Oracle 8i.

From: <dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: 2000/06/23

I would look two places. First, database vendors like Oracle have been known to create tools to make it easy to convert. I was going to check for you at www.oracle.com, but when I entered "Ingres" in the search box, the Oracle Web server barfed - no kidding!! I'll let you try that for yourself, maybe it will have recovered by then.

   Second, look at some of the data modeling tools that are able to interact with both databases. I would start with ERwin, now sold by Platinum Technology (www.platinum.com/dreamteam). I know that it can extract an Oracle schema. If you have trouble finding a data modeling tool, the Ingres compatability will probably be the sticking point. You might ask on the Ingres newsgroup for data modeling tool suggestions. In article <3951196E.5CDC7CD4_at_americasm01.nt.com>,   "Nguyen, Tri [FITZ3:1150:EXCH]" <tring_at_americasm01.nt.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a tool to smoothly migrate data from Ingres to
> Oracle ? I believe I need to perform a reverse engineer on the
 current
> Ingres database to extract its database schema and then convert it to
> Oracle schema.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Oracle newbie.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT