Re: jumping to records

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/20

Well, if you know what you are looking for then specify it in the where clause like you did in your first example. In fact, your question is a bit confusing - you are saying that select * would give you all records and you would have to go through many of them before you find the one you need. How do you know if the record is indeed the one you need? In other words, what's your criteria for accepting a particular row? That criteria would be what you put in your where clause and then all you get is the rows that match.

hth

Sergey

In article <394C63EF.CA7BAF5C_at_its.brooklyn.cuny.edu>,   A D Hager <adhager_at_its.brooklyn.cuny.edu> wrote:
> Is it possible to select all records from a table but to jump to a
> particular one?
> for example suppose I want to retrieve all records from a table but I
> want to start somewhere in the middle.
> If I execute
> select * from employees where name='aaron'
> I will only get one record.
> If I execute
> select * from employees;
> I will only get all the records and will have to retrieve many records
> before finding the one I am looking for.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Aaron

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Jun 20 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT