Re: ORA-04068: existing state of packages has been discarded

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/16

Hi,
 Disclaimer: It's been a while since i was doing this - so this might not be 100 percent right.

 You usually get this error if one of your packages has initialized state (e.g. package variables).

 recompiling does not preserve this state, so you get this error.

 you basically have an empty (uninitialised) session. it should be safe to proceed. all you have to do is to re-run all the stuff you would normally do after establishing a new session.

HTH Karsten

In article <NJk25.2788$fb5.53949_at_news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>,   "Carl Moran" <carl.moran_at_sysview.co.uk> wrote:
> I think you would only get that message if your package did not
 compile
> and you tried to run it. To be honest that is just a guess, cause I
 usually
> fix it by recompiling the package and making sure there is no errors.
>
> EL <el_at_el.com> wrote in message
> > I work on an order entry system that is up 24x7 running Oracle
 version
> > 8.0.5. I want to compile a fix to a procedure contained in a
 package
> > body. I only will be recompiling the package body. Since the
 package
> > body has no dependent objects, I should not invalidate any stored
> > procedures that call this procedure in my package.
> >
> > However, should I worry about causing an "ORA-04068: existing state
 of
> > packages has been discarded" error? What causes this error and when
> > does it occur?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 16 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT