Re: standby databases?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/14

Not really enough information to go on, but it isn't enough simply to clone a database: the control file has to be a special 'standby database' control file that alllows continual application of archived redo logs.

You do this with:

ALTER DATABASE CREATE STANDBY CONTROLFILE AS 'filename';

The fact that it's a standby controlfile allows the cloned database to sit in a permanent mount state, awaiting the continual application of redo logs (you can do more adventurous things from 8.1.5 onwards).

I have to day that having one day's-worth of archived redo lagging in the standby database rather defeats the idea of having a standby database: the whole point of a standby is that it can be switched over in a manner of minutes (at most) rather than half-hours (or worse).

Regards