Re: Oracle Names Server

From: <sigdock_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

Hans,

I've worked with the OracleNamesSever for half a year but never set it up from scratch. What I do remember is that you have to remove the TNSNAMES.ORA file from the client. The 'network/admin' directory only contains two files: the SQLNET.ORA and, if I remember well, the NAMES.ORA which holds information on the location of the names-server.

h.t.h.

Bert Jan Meinders
Oracle DBA
ASR-ICT In article <25462065.a11c18a3_at_usw-ex0108-061.remarq.com>,   Hans <hans.gelaudeNOhaSPAM_at_hamburg-mannheimer.be.invalid> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is someone experienced working with Oracle Names Server or
> can someone explain me how to set up an Oracle Names Server?
>
> I'm working with Oracle 8.0.5 on a Windows NT 4.0 platform.
> Most clients work with Windows NT 4.0, some with Windows 98.
>
> I want to work with two Servers (one as backup server).
> I've installed Net8Client on the clients and Net8Server on
> the servers. All clients work with TCP/IP.
>
> The production databases are located on different servers
> on different locations.
>
> The current Network Configuration Model has a localized
> management. The Network Addresses are mapped in a
> TNSNAMES.ORA file on each client.
>
> I've already tried the steps explained in Chapter 6 of
> Configuring the Network, but I think I did something wrong.
> No client can find a Names Server. I've tried to locate the
> Names Servers with the Net8 Assistant.
>
> Thanks for help
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also
find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jun 09 2000 - 00:00:00 CDT