autoextending a tablespace

From: gdas <gdas1NOgdSPAM_at_yahoo.com.invalid>
Date: 2000/06/09

I'm running oracle 8.1.5 and looking at a tablespace that contains 2 datafiles. Both datafiles are not set to automatically extend themselves.

So using the alter database command, I can change the datafiles such that they will autoextend...

My questions are:

Is it a good idea to only autoextend one of the datafiles? How do I know which one?

If I autoextend both of the datafiles? Where is oracle going to put new data? Will it implement a hashing algorithm or something similar?

I'm assuming this is just bad all around as it will most like create fragmentation which will affect performance...I should probably recreate this tablespace to use a single datafile.

Anyone know how oracle is going to handle this situation? thanks