Re: Oracle Basics

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: 2000/06/09

"Christy" <kisstene_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:8hmjfm$2286$6_at_newssvr04-int.news.prodigy.com...

> Hi i'm a rookie so bare with me while I request help. Please help!
>
> 1. When migrating data from 1 medium (SQL Server) to Oracle, is it ok
> use SQL LOader, or are there other 3 party softwares that are better for
 the
> project?
>
> 2. On a fresh install of Oracle for a production environment, is it ok to
> accept the default install, or are there any special configurations i
 should
> be aware of?

Incidentally, the default install for Oracle 8.0.5 and before will give you 2K blocks. This is a ridiculous default. 8i's not much better with its 8K default. Depending on your operating system, you really ought to be looking at 16K block sizes.

You also appreciate, I hope, that the default install will result in a database which is NOT operating in archivelog mode. Fine if you don't care about recovering it, but not otherwise!

As with all defaults, be wary: the shared pool size is prerhaps the biggest single determinant of system performance, and when you do the install you get a highly detailed choice betwen 'small', 'medium' and 'large'! By all means take the default install as a basis from which to tune onwards and upwards, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that it is necessarily appropriate to your particular needs.

HJR