Re: SQL-SERVER vs. Oracle

From: Chris Hamilton <ToneCzar_at_erols.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:26:43 -0500

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:33:52 -0600, "Mike Carter" <mike_at_delriotech.com> wrote:

>Ahh, you're experiencing the "advantage" of using multiple Oracle Homes.
>What Oracle fails to tell you in any documentation (maybe because they
>didn't test this well) is that every Net8 configuration you make in the
>actual database home, you have to duplicate in the OEM (and other) home(s).
>Bascially, this means that you pretty much have to copy over the
>tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files from one home to another. You'd think
>they would've thought of this, but then again, you'd think they would've
>tested it too.

Have you tried using the TNS_ADMIN registry key / environment variable ... you can set it to point to the location of a single set of SQL*Net config files.

I have three Oracle Homes on my laptop, two on my servers, and only one set of config files on each machine.

It is documented in the port-specific guides, I think.

Chris

Christopher Hamilton
Oracle DBA -- Sandbox.com
chamilton_at_sandbox-inc.com