Data dictionary with 8i - comments?

From: jmsalvo <jmsalvo_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:08:59 GMT

I was testing an application that generates graph drawings (vertices and edge) of the dependencies in a database, and I decided to use the 8i data dictionary as a test.

I have always thought that objects listed in the columns NAME and REFERENCED_NAME of the view ALL_DEPENDENCIES exists in ALL_OBJECTS.OBJECT_NAME. Thereby ALL_OBJECTS is like your list of vertices and ALL_DEPENDENCIES is the list of edges in a graph.

However, this is not the case.

My first question is what is the table DISK_AND_FIXED_OBJECTS for?

  1. In ALL_DEPENDENCIES, a table by the name of X$KZSRO exists and is referenced by several views:

SQL> select count(1) from sys.all_dependencies where referenced_name = 'X$KZSRO'
  2 /

 COUNT(1)

      105

But when you check if this object exists in ALL_OBJECTS, it does not exist:

  1* select object_name from all_objects where object_name = 'X$KZSRO' SQL> / no rows selected

The above table is actually listed in the table DISK_AND_FIXED_OBJECTS, based on the query of the view ALL_DEPENDENCIES.

2) There is actually a view named V$PARAMETER (note, no underscore), not listed in ALL_OBJECTS but are referenced by other objects, including V_$PARAMETER (which exists in ALL_OBJECTS and ALL_VIEWS).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Jan 21 2000 - 02:08:59 CST