Re: Can database link without gateway?

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:16:10 GMT

In article <820bvm$7qe$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Sue Han <sue_han_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I login an Oracle DB and want to use database link to access non-
oracle
> database from there. I know gateway can enable the connection. Is
there
> any other way without installing gateway?
>
> Can Oracle create DB link for non-relation DB? If can, what are the
> DBs? can I use SELECT statement to retrieve data in non-relation DB
via
> the DB link?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sue

Sue, I do not believe there is any way to directly do what you want without Oracle Gateway or a similiar product. But you can write your own system using some combination of database alerts, pipes, holding tables, and batch processes.

One way is to have processes insert into a holding table. A continuous or regularly scheduled batch process retrieves the data, writes it to a file, and issues a ftp command to send the data on its way. On the receiving end a similiar process looks for the incoming data and processes it. We developed such a system to send and receive data from IMS and we can see the results in as little as 2 seconds clock time so this may be good enough.

There are third party products such as IBM's MQSeries, Gentran, and other middleware products that you can buy to do the job, but most of them require some variation of the holding table to get data from Oracle and still require coding on your part to implement.

--
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 30 1999 - 09:16:10 CST