cloning instance from box A to box B

From: Saugato Mukerji <Mukerji.Saugato.S_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:14:07 +1100

Hi

I created a new instance on box B with database configuration assistant shut down the instances on box A and box B. copied the control and datafiles from box A to box B into an identical directory hierarchy
altered the init.ora on box B to reflect the new control and Datafiles

logged in as internal and started the cloned instance on box B.

The database came up and i was able to select data from tables in the cloned database.

  1. I would like to know if the procedure follwed by me to clone the database is correct?
  2. will it always work.?
  3. is there a better way to clone a database from box A to box B

both box A and B were running Oracle 8.1.5 on NT4.0 sp5.

thanks

Saugato Mukerji Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 01:14:07 CST