Re: SQLNet won't work after network changes

From: Multifarious <multifarious_at_nospamhome.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 17:50:41 GMT

Kenneth,

A few things to check. First look at the clients TNSNAMES.ORA file. This is the configuration for SQLnet. Check to see that the tcp/ip address was not hardcoded. If so change the ip address to corespond with the new address on the server. You can also use the SQLnet Easy Config tool to delete the old alias and create a new one. Some people find this easier, though editing the file is my preference.

On the NT side, check the following:

  1. can you ping the server by name? If not, check the following files: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\lmhosts. c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. These files usually contain the ip address and the machine name. If the files are present and the addresses are incorrect, modify them, save the changes and type the following: NBTSTAT -R The -R must in uppercase.
  2. can you ping the server by ip address? If you can't ping by the actual address, you something wrong with your IP configuration on one or both of the machines in question. On each machine ensure the following: - The correct IP address is used - The correct subnect mask is used - The correct gateway is used - The dns entries are correct and reachable - If using WINS, ensure that it is configured correctly. - if using DHCP, get the LAN administrator involved.

Hope this helps.