Re: Unix Oracle vs NT SQL7 Performance on same hardware

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:09:32 -0500

Hi,

    Check out the TPC benchmarks for NT 4.0. They show a Proliant 8500-550-8P has a tpmC rating of 40368 running Sql Server and a Proliant 6500 PDC/01000 is rated at 33935 running Oracle. They also show a Proliant 6400R-550 as being rated at 25633 when running Sql Server.

    I think that the major benefits of going to Oracle are increased reliability and scalibility and -- since you are obviously concerned about growth -- the reduced cost of "biting the bullet" and making the change now before you write any more code that is RDBMS specific.

hth
jerry gitomer

biscuit_13_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <80rp1a$vh4$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
|I have been asked to investigate setting up an Oracle database.
I am
|currently are running NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition with SQL Server
7.0
|Enterprise Edition on a Compaq Proliant 8000 with 8 Pentium III
Xeon
|550 processors processors with 1 Mb of cache per chip and 2 GB
of
|memory.
|
|I think that it is safe to assume that as long as I am running
NT that
|SQL Server will be the best performer, but can anyone tell me if
|running Unix with Oracle on the same hardware would in general
produce
|better, worse or fairly similar performance to NT and SQL 7?
|
|Does anyone know about any benchmark tests on this type of
equipment? I
|have looked at TPC but can not find much information about
Oracle on