Unix Oracle vs NT SQL7 Performance on same hardware

From: <biscuit_13_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:17:19 GMT

I have been asked to investigate setting up an Oracle database. I am currently are running NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition with SQL Server 7.0 Enterprise Edition on a Compaq Proliant 8000 with 8 Pentium III Xeon 550 processors processors with 1 Mb of cache per chip and 2 GB of memory.

I think that it is safe to assume that as long as I am running NT that SQL Server will be the best performer, but can anyone tell me if running Unix with Oracle on the same hardware would in general produce better, worse or fairly similar performance to NT and SQL 7?

Does anyone know about any benchmark tests on this type of equipment? I have looked at TPC but can not find much information about Oracle on current processors unless they are using like 64 processors.

Thanks.

Biscuit

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 08:17:19 CST