Re: Tablespaces and Datafiles

From: Ulrik Hoffmann <ulrik_at_hoffmann-kiel.de>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:41:51 +0100

Hallo Ermina,

nice question, but I try to answer...

if it is a medium db, I suggest that 100 MB for Data is enough. If not, take double of it or the half. Do the following:

SYSTEM 100 MB
TEMP 50 MB

TB_DATA 100 MB
TB_INDEX 100 MB  -- different disk to DATA!
TB_ROLLBACK 50 MB -- different disk to the redologs if possible

if you create a user, do the following:

create user ERMINA identified by PASSWORD default tablespace DATA temporary tablespace TEMP

Create all tables useing the schema ERMINA

if you create an index, use

CREATE INDEX... TABLESPACE TB_INDEX !!! Do the rest I mentioned in

http://www.hoffmann-kiel.de/stdinst.html

to tune and optimize the installation.

Never use default autoextending cause the tablespaces could be fragmented and you have no control over space-growth.

If you use autoextend, put it to a limit, that your disk will allways have enough space to perform a reboot!

Hope that helps!

Bye
Uli