Second server or only a new one ??

From: Michael Keppler <Michael.Keppler_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 12:00:11 +0100

Hello everybody !

As the database grows more and more, our database server is becoming to slow, so we have to buy new hardware. If we buy a new server that has about 4 times (or higher) more power then the old one, is there a possibility to use both of them for one database or should we use ONLY the new server?
Or to ask another way: Is the overhead of two computers hosting the database and communicating with each other worth the (relativly little) additional power of our old server?
We have many updates in our database, but after some weeks most of the data is interesting only still for some statistics and charts . So I would prefer to use the old server to host only all the old (and nearly never again used) data. Is this way of archiving data possible ??

Ciao and Thanks, Michael.

--
Michael Keppler, MCSE, MCP+I
IT logic GbR