Re: How ro create a database link

From: Uwe Schneider <uwe.schneider_at_xlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:16:39 +0100

Hi Suresh,

Suresh Bhat wrote:

> Hi Uwe,
>
> I have not tried this but my notes indicate that if you have GLOBAL_NAMES
> set to TRUE in initXXXX.ora, then it forces the database link name to be
> named same as the target database name.
>
> I cannot shed any more light on it.

this was really the reason/solution.

What makes me angry is the fact that it took me a half day to find it out. The workaround is not documented in the error messages reference, but can be found somewhere in the middle of the Distributed Database documentation of Oracle _8_. The same section of my Oracle 7.3 documentation LACKS this hint.

The same with ORACLE_HOME: I set this environment variable with a trailing slash ("/"), then installed Oracle out of the box. When I tried to start the database with "svrmrgl" instead of "dbstart" I got control file related error messages. After one day I found out that the trailing slash in my environment was the reason.

I am wondering if it is really necessary to accept flaws like these in such an expensive product.

Best regards!

--
uwe.schneider_at_xlink.net Received on Wed Nov 10 1999 - 02:16:39 CST