ORA-07374

From: Em Pradhan <empradhan_at_dplus.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 09:17:20 -0500

Error Message: ORA-07374: sfwfb: Invalid Block number. Additional Information: 127847

Operating System: IBM AIX 4.2.0
ORACLE: 7.3.4.4.0 Hi,
I came across with the ORA-07374 error and database just crashed with following errors
ORA-00447: fatal error in background process ORA-01242: data file suffered media failure: database in NOARCHIEVELOG mode

ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 5 (block# 127847)
ORA-01110: data file 5:'/usps01/oracle/tms/TMSdata13.dbf'
ORA-07374: sfwfb: invalid block number;

I start the database again and it is running. Also I tried to get some infomation from Oracle Customer support but not a definite answer what caused it.
Oracle customer support's main concern was in ORA-07374 , which I agree and it (oracle) did got a message from OS that the block is invalid. but why? I did check for the block#127847 and it belongs to a valid object (table).

Oracle Customer Support says that ulimit must be higher than filesize. If my ulimit is smaller than filesize then at the creation time it should come with the error. I think so....

Another point Oracle mentioned that if multiple dbwriter are running and tablespaces are in auto extend mode then if table space is increased then some of the dbwriter will not be notified that the tablespace has been increased. Make some sense. But no one was updating or altering the tablespace. I am using multiple dbwriter (total of 5).

So if you have any information regarding this error Please let me know what causes this and how to resolve the situation..

Thank you in advance.

Prajit Pradhan
Accusort Systems, inc.
pmpradh_at_accusort.com Received on Sat Nov 06 1999 - 08:17:20 CST