Re: Q: replace some datafiles

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:47:43 -0800

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Johann Tinnacher wrote:

> we're running owg 7.1.6 (HP-UX 10.01, NOARCHIVELOG) with one instance with 4 database
> users. every user has it's own datafiles.
>
> we're doing a cold backup of all files (datafiles & controlfiles etc.) every night. now i
> think of restoring data from one of the users.
>
> is there a way to
> - shutdown oracle
> - replace some of the database files (the datafiles of one user) from tape
> - (do something i dont't know yet)
> - start oracle
> - (do something i dont't know yet)
> - start the instance, working with the old datafiles of one user and the current datafiles
> of the other users.
>
> (without creating different instances or using exp for backup)

What you are describing is referred to as "tablespace point-in-time recovery," and I don't think it is available until 8.1. In the mean time, the best way to get the data from a subset of tables within a database is to recover the tablespaces you want, as well as system and rollbacks as a separate instance (dropping any tablespaces you don't want to recover), and recover those to a point in time prior to the destruction of the data in question. Then it is a simple matter of CTAS (create table as select) over a database link or export/import to put the data where it belongs.

--
Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah Received on Wed Oct 28 1998 - 23:47:43 CST