Re: Licensing

From: opus <opus_at_nowhere.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:51:17 -0400

Yup, I'm with Bill on this one too. Your second consultant had it right. I had something similar, wanted to have a web server connect to an Oracle database, very small number of hits so I just wanted my web server to maybe have at most 10 connects live at any one time. Talked to Oracle and since I have a potential user base of 10,000 they wanted me to buy concurrent licensing for 40% of my users, 4,000 licenses o at over 2000 a pop (with support). Goodbye Oracle, hello SQLServer ... If they don't figure this out soon Oracle are gonna price themselves out of existence. And I'm a big Oracle fan so I'm hoping.