Re: Logons & V$SESSION

From: Lothar Armbrüster <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 21 Oct 98 19:56:22 +0100

On 21-Okt-98 18:11:29 Jens Kieffer-Olsen wrote:

>Roy Jones wrote in message
><362bb7c2.5631756_at_news1.lig.bellsouth.net>...
>>I have a question about logging into the database:
>>
>>I have an ORACLE 7.3.4.1 database running on an HP9000 K410/570.
>>We want to allow our users to log on with only a certain set of tools.
>>My first attempt was to monitor the V$SESSION table specifically the
>>PROGRAM column to determine what tool is being logged in with. This
>>works great for all situations except Windows NT. WinNT put the full
>>path to the program/shortcut in the table which normally is more than
>>the 48 characters the PROGRAM column can handle. My next attempt was
>>to go back to the PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE table but all I know about it
>>is that you must list each product individually and the only valid
>>value I know is SQL*Plus.
>>
>>Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

> For one thing the PROGRAM column handles 64 characters!

We do sort of this using roles. Our users gain acces to the important tables through a role. This role is normally disabled and password protected. When our application starts, it enables the role and the user can work.
If the user logs in via SQL*Plus, he gets connects but his possibilities are limited to a bare minimum.
Maybe this is an option for you too.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--

Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de