Re: ODBC!?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:27:14 +0200

Blabla wrote in message <362C9E3E.CEE960D4_at_Right.nl>...
>Is it possible to connect, with some Oracle command, to a database other
>then Oracle, with the help of ODBC of course?

Not sure what the question is...

But you can link various Oracle databases to one another using database links (see Oracle SQL command CREATE [PUBLIC] DATABASE LINK).

Oracle also supports gateways into other databases. For example you get (for free last time I looked) a product called Oracle's Transparent Gateway to SQL-Server. This gateway looks like another Oracle database instance for all intends and purposes, but actually connects you into a SQL-Server database.

It should therefore be possible to define a database link to an Oracle gateway. You should therefore be able to use ODBC to connect to an Oracle database and via this database link also access data in SQL-Server.

However, I have -very- strong opinions about ODBC as an API and an interface to Oracle. Most of them involve swinging around my lead pipe. :-) So IMHO stay away from products like Visual Basic and MS Access using ODBC when you want to develop robust and high performance client-server applications against Oracle databases.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Oct 21 1998 - 05:27:14 CDT