Re: Performance and database links

From: <bmanry_at_remove.us.oracle.com>
Date: 20 Oct 1998 00:59:00 GMT

ccs <csimo_at_exeter.com> wrote:
>We have procedures which take information from a source table, transform it,
>and move it into another (destination) table. Given the choice between
>having both tables in the same instance, or using a database link and having
>the source on one server and the destination table on another server -
>which, in general, would yield better performance?

The former (same instance). In addition to the extra "hop" to get to another instance, dblink operations add the cost of coordinating a multisite transaction.

/b
--
Bill Manry - IBM Products Division - Oracle Corporation USA These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's. Received on Mon Oct 19 1998 - 19:59:00 CDT