Re: MINIMUM EXTENT option

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:35:05 GMT

On 14 Oct 1998 22:19:34 GMT, pch_at_pinnacle. (Paul Chang) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Looks like MINIMUM EXTENT option is the new option in Oracle 8
>to create tablespace.

MINEXTENTS is actually a very old parameter, used to define *default* storage options for tables/indexes/clusters created in the tablespace. It was present at least back in Oracle6, i don't know about releases prior to 6.0

>in manual it says
>"with the setting of the MINIMUM EXTENT option, the database administrator
>controls the fragmentation in the tablespace."
>
>What does the above indicate? and why?
>
>Can somebody share a real-world experience using this option?

This parameter simply define the number of extents allocated to an object immediately after its creation in this particular tablespace, if the object creation command itself doesn't explicitely specify this storage parameter.

I don't realy think you can actually control the tablespace fragmentation with this parameter (you can control it with the INITIAL, NEXT and PCTINCREASE). With MINEXTENTS you only preallocate the space at object creation, so that oracle doesn't waste time with new extent allocation when initial extent is filled.

In a real world, you can take advantage of this parameter (on table/index creation level) when performing manual striping - allocating a number of extents of the same table/index on different OS files residing in different physical disks for better I/O distribution on large tables.

>thanks,
>
>Paul.

HTH
Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Thu Oct 15 1998 - 13:35:05 CDT